Embroidery spray adhesive is a specially formulated adhesive that provides a temporary bond between fabric and stabiliser during the embroidery process. It is commonly used to secure fabric in place, preventing it from shifting or puckering while stitching.
Benefits of Using Embroidery Spray Adhesive
There are many benefits to using embroidery spray adhesive, including:
- Securing fabric: The adhesive holds the fabric in place, preventing it from shifting or stretching during the embroidery process. This is especially important when working with delicate fabrics or intricate designs.
- Easy repositioning: The temporary bond allows you to reposition the fabric if needed, ensuring precise placement of your embroidery design. This is a great feature for beginners who are still learning how to embroider.
- Reduced hoop marks: By eliminating the need for excessive hooping, embroidery spray adhesive helps minimise hoop marks on delicate fabrics. This will give your finished project a professional look.
- Improved stitch quality: The stable fabric surface created by the adhesive allows for smoother and more accurate stitching. This will result in a more polished finished product.
Popular Uses for Embroidery Spray Adhesive
Embroidery spray adhesive is versatile and can be used in various embroidery applications. Some popular uses include:
- Applying embroidery backing to the garment: The adhesive ensures that the backing stays securely in place, providing stability and support to the embroidered design.
- Securing fabric during the applique process: When working with applique designs, embroidery spray adhesive helps hold the fabric pieces together, allowing for precise stitching.
- Holding fabric in place for quilting: Embroidery spray adhesive can be used to hold fabric in place while quilting, preventing it from shifting or bunching up.
- Temporary bonding of fabrics: Embroidery spray adhesive can be used to temporarily bond two pieces of fabric together, making it easy to create patchwork projects or to mock up designs before sewing them permanently.
How to Use Embroidery Spray Adhesive
To use embroidery spray adhesive, follow these steps:
- Choose the right adhesive: There are many different types of embroidery spray adhesives available, so it is important to choose one that is appropriate for your project. For example, if you are working with delicate fabrics, you will want to choose an adhesive that is designed for use with delicate fabrics.
- Prepare the fabric: The fabric should be clean and free of wrinkles. If the fabric is wrinkled, you can use a steam iron to smooth it out.
- Apply the adhesive: Hold the can of adhesive about 8 inches from the fabric and spray a light, even coat. Do not overspray, as this can cause the adhesive to be too thick.
- Let the adhesive dry: The adhesive will typically dry clear and transparent.
- Position the fabric: Once the adhesive is dry, you can position the fabric where you want it. The adhesive will hold the fabric in place until you are ready to sew it.
When using embroidery spray adhesive, it is important to follow the safety precautions on the product label. These precautions may include:
- Keep away from heat, flame, spark, and other sources of ignition.
- Store in a cool, dry place (45°C); Avoid direct sunlight.
- Do not clash, puncture, or incinerate the can.
- Keep out of reach of children.
Embroidery spray adhesive is a versatile tool that can be used to improve the quality of your embroidery projects. By following the tips in this blog post, you can learn how to use this adhesive safely and effectively.